Friday 13 March 2009

True North Visit


Today I decided to email Ady Bibby at True North, I emailed Ady last year but I never got a reply so I thought I'd give it another go. Within the hour I got a reply and an arranged date for a Portfolio Viewing for the 18th March at 10am. Hope it goes well, I'll keep you posted.

The Visit.

On Wednesday 18th March, I went to True North and showed my Portfolio to Ady Bibby. At first we had a general chat about what my plans were when I leave university, he explained that it will be very difficult for students to get jobs, but you have to be persistent and ask for placements, if you don't get replies keep asking. Ady told me that the best way to get into agencies is through placements and being versatile and making yourself available. After talking for a while I started to go through my work, I showed him both my 1st/2nd year portfolio and some work from the third year. Once I had finished going through the portfolios, Ady went back to beginning and gave me advice on each project, he never really told me whether he liked the projects or not just how it would like to see them presented in the final portfolio. Also he wasn't too keen on the book format and advised that he would prefer to see the real thing, even if it is a massive poster, he claims he would remember it more that way. Yet other people I have seen with my portfolio have preferred the books, but everybody has a different opinion and it is interesting to get different insights. Ady also told me how to extend some of my projects, so when I come to designing my final portfolio, the projects I include will have more depth. Once we had finished talking about my work, he gave me a list of creatives from some other agencies and told me to get in touch with them about advice on how to put my final portfolio together, so thats what I will be doing. Overall it was a informative visit more so about what I should include in my folio and how to construct it more than advice on my work and how I could make that better. Either way it was beneficial.      

No comments: